Tuesday, December 31, 2013

Old McDonald had a Farm, Pale-E-I-E-I-O

Our fam has been eating paleo on and off for about three years. The last year, I mean for ALL of 2013, I've been off paleo. Like I haven't cared one bit about what or how much I was eating. I think I was struggling with depression last winter and that led to a lot of sedentary days and emotional eating. I've been feeling much better since the summer, but the eating habits and lack of consistent exercise were hard to overcome. I *think* I've turned the corner with that too. I'm so grateful, because it gets really heavy (literally) to feel so unmotivated to take care of your health. I gained TWENTY POUNDS this past year y'all. Twenty. I'm up two pants sizes from my "normal" (which I've maintained for years). The reason is very complicated: I've been eating too much and exercising too little. ;)

So the week after Christmas, I started eating paleo again for the first time in a long time. Paleo isn't a magic diet and I don't feel like it's the only way to be healthy. But for me, being a Type 1 diabetic, it's easy for me to prove by my blood sugar readings, cholesterol, and blood pressure that it works for me. I feel SO GOOD when I maintain a paleo lifestyle at least 80% of the time.

This holiday break, I've been experimenting with some new recipes so I won't get bored with eating paleo. In the past, I've been guilty of eating the same thing over and over just because I'm lazy and don't want to cook. This time, I feel like that will just set me up for failure (because I like the taste of food). I especially LOVE comfort food. So meatloaf is something I wanted to make but with a paleo twist. Here's what I came up with. If I do say so myself, it's pretty tasty! Your kids will probably even love it! Mine do.

Paleo Meat Loaf

1 lb ground pork
1 lb ground beef
3/4 c. almond flour
1 small yellow onion, chopped
1 egg
1 tsp paprika
1tsp thyme
2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
2 Tbs Worcestershire sauce
Sauce: 1 1/2 c reduced sugar ketchup
2 Tbs Sriracha
1 1/2 tsp apple cider vinegar 

Whisk ketchup, sriracha, and apple cider vinegar together to make sauce. Divide and set half aside for topping. Mix all the rest of the ingredients together very well. Press into a 9x5 loaf pan. Top with the sauce you set aside. Bake at 375 degrees for 1 hour. Let sit for ten minutes. Tip pan to one corner and drain grease. Remove from pan, slice, and serve!

1 comment:

  1. I've gained 30 pounds over the last year, mostly since weaning off my antidepressant meds. So, I FEEL YOU. I would love to hear more about this. In all your spare time. :) Seriously though, you already know you're like my role model and if you do it, I secretly wanna do it too. So, for reals... Hook a sistah up and write more about this.

    ReplyDelete