Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Treasure


We are going through the book "Crazy Love" by Francis Chan in our small group. This is the second time Greg and I have read it and dare I say, it's been even more convicting the second time around. I can't really say if it will be more life-changing yet. The first time we read it was around the same time we committed to adopt Sarge. We thought that was a radical decision. But really, has it been? Have we really experienced any discomfort or persecution for our decision? I'm not saying we have to seek out to live a miserable life, but I do think that if we are truly living as Christ did, it doesn't look like the world and there will be some discomfort in comparison. I don't think Jesus would have lived in suburbia U.S.A. with an SUV and 2.5 kids. Just sayin'. But we KNOW that even in our worldly discomfort, we will have the most peaceful life with Christ if we are doing HIS will and not OUR will. We are still praying about how we can continue to live courageously...radically...for Christ. We know we aren't even close at this point. And we also know that this is a journey we're on, and that we will never be perfect in our attempts to give like Christ until we are in Heaven with him. This morning I got the following email from my husband. It is to our small group, just so you understand to whom it was written. I feel compelled to share it because the scripture he refers to is probably the most compelling scripture on why sharing this "crazy love" is so important. I hope it challenges you like it is challenging me. I can't get it off my mind.

"I read the following verse tonight, and in light of our discussion last night, found it very powerful, especially the latter half, and wanted to share it with each of you. It is from the New Living Translation, James 5:3
3 Your gold and silver have become worthless. The very wealth you were counting on will eat away your flesh like fire. This treasure you have accumulated will stand as evidence against you on the day of judgment.
To picture God piling up the "treasures" we accumulate and hold on to in this life, and placing them all beside us on the day of judgement as evidence AGAINST us is very sobering to me! How will I feel if on the judgement day, I have a huge pile of stuff that I hoarded and held on to because i thought i needed more, while countless others stand with nothing as they never had anything and lived a life in need, and to have to explain to God why i have a pile at all, well, I don't think ANY explanation would be sufficient for the One who gave it all to me in the first place.
What a powerful, convicting verse!"

4 comments:

  1. Thank you for that. We have finished Crazy Love and I am sad. I long to study it again or at least re-read. We have been listening to his podcasts and loving them too.

    Francis Chan...awesome. Matthew and I were talking yesterday about "doing" instead of "talking". We are really trying to find ways to do!

    Thank you for your post...it moved my heart and stirred my spirit!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh what a beautiful Word for today. Thank you so much for sharing it. I am waiting on our copy of Crazy Love to read with my husband.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! You know, it's so interesting to me how when God puts something on your heart He brings things along to confirm it...over and over. This radical living concept has so burdened my heart over the last few months that I can think of little else. I'm heading over to Amazon to get a copy of that book. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the reminder, Tesney. This post is almost prophetic of our sermon yesterday! You and Shon must have talked! Then again, that's the way God's Spirit works so often - giving His Body the same message so that maybe, just maybe, we will get it. Love you and can't WAIT for you guys to travel to Russia soon!

    ReplyDelete